Random Thoughts

Thursday, September 01, 2005

A bad week.

I live quite a happy life, really; and I was hoping to keep this upbeat and optimistic, as a reflection of my own outlook. But that's hard to do when I've spent the last several days following the plight along the Gulf Coast, and now the deadly stampede in Iraq. I'm always brought down by such tragedies - but this time more than usual because a slow period at work has left me with inordinate time to read the news reports, and reflect on the depth of the suffering.

I want to help, yet I feel helpless in the face of such immense troubles. It's a feeling that can't be erased by a donation to the Red Cross, though I've tried. I've often thought about getting a job at the Red Cross, or maybe Catholic Relief Services, but what do I have to offer? What relevant skills do I have? None. I know that the best things I can contribute right now are money and prayers, even if that leaves me aching to do more.

The situation in New Orleans is especially depressing, because it is morally disturbing as well. Typically after a major disaster we can at least feel some consolation at the way the people band together to help the afflicted. But the latest reports from the Big Easy are much less uplifting. Looting a grocery store is one thing. I can sympathize with someone taking food and drinks to save their families and themselves until help arrives. But how can anyone shoot at the rescuers? I don't even know how to respond to such news. What could be the cause of the disorder? Poverty? Hunger? Poverty doesn't create lawlessness or violence (rather the reverse). And surely the conditions after last year's Tsunami were equally desperate--and the people more desperately poor. Yet the news was full of stories of cooperation and heroism. I'm at a loss.

And on top of that, I've learned that my favorite journalist has passed away. Jude Wanniski was best known as the popular voice behind supply-side economics. That was before my time. The Jude I loved was the delightfully contrarian author of the "Memo on the Margin", the most insightful blog on a host of issues, but most especially the leadup to the war in Iraq. His site was one of just three or four that I made sure to read every day. I will miss his insights dreadfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home