Random Thoughts

Friday, September 02, 2005

C-O-F-F-E-E

There are two songs from gradeschool music class that have stuck with me lo these twenty-odd years. One of them is about my favorite drink:

C-O-F-F-E-E
Coffee is not for me.
It's a drink some people wake up with.
That it makes them nervous is no myth.
Slaves to the coffee cup--
they can't give coffee up!

Despite this subtle conditioning, I enslaved myself to the cup while tackling a full-time course load in college, and working anywhere from 32 - 60 hours a week as a night-shift security guard to pay the tuition. Coffee got me through many dry lectures on macroeconomics, statistics...even a whole course dedicated to Heidegger's Being and Time.

Lucky for me, turns out that coffee is actually good for my health. The antioxidants help protect me from cancer, heart disease and other illnesses, while the caffeine can boost mental focus, and even improve my workouts. This is a clear proof of the existence of God. (Of course, too much caffeine can be really bad for you! Proof of the devil!)

Now, if only they could find some health benefit from my other favorite drinks.

P.S. Even Prevention magazine is in favor of coffee, judging from their Coffee Quiz .

3 Comments:

  • Hello, Keith! Just found your blog, and already I like it.

    I too was delighted to see the headline about coffee's antioxidants. There's hope for me yet!

    While I am not familiar with the coffe song, it reminds me of a poem I read in a humanities class in my first year of engineering school:

    Tobacco is a dirty weed,
    I like it.
    It satisfies no normal need,
    I like it.
    It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
    It takes the hair right off your bean.
    It's the worst darn stuff I've ever seen.
    I like it.

    I don't especially like tobacco myself, but the poem has always stuck in my head. Unfortunately for my GPA, the same was not true for calculus, differential equations, etc., etc.

    BTW, if you ever have blog questions, try me. I've learned a number of things the hard way. You always figure out things on your own pretty quickly, but you never know, I might know something.

    By Blogger Jim Waddell, at 10:06 PM  

  • My first real comment! Thanks, Jim. I'm glad you like it. My blog, that is...not the tobacco:

    Keith's Blog is a dirty screed,
    I like it.
    It satisfies no normal need,
    I like it....


    Maybe I'll take you up on your offer some time. I've been learning the hard way this past week, borrowing a few tricks from others by looking at their source html (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?). I think I've made good progress, but it will take me a while to reach your advanced skill.

    By Blogger BigKC, at 6:30 AM  

  • I'm sure it will take you no time at all. Of all the add-ons I can think of, the neatest one is probably Site Meter. Not only does it track your traffic, but you can actually see where, by country, your last 100 visits came from. I get mostly US, but also Canada, all over Europe, Australia, NZ, Malaysia, UAE, South Africa...it's quite amazing. See
    here

    By Blogger Jim Waddell, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home