Random Thoughts

Monday, November 28, 2005

Missing Music

There are many gaping holes in my education. Though a Catholic with a degree in philosophy, I'm almost completely ignorant of theology. My grasp of history is clearly inadequate. Yet, I've always felt that I have a solid foundation. If you allow physics to substitute for astronomy, I guess I'd beat the average on six of the seven traditional liberal arts. That seventh one is music; and I'm almost embarrassed by how little I know.

Since E. joined the school band, I've wondered whether now might be the time to address my own deficiency. An unexpected invitation to join the church choir prompted the same idle thoughts. Not to mention being mistaken for the organist/choir director on multiple occasions--most recently by several long-time choir members! ("You mean, you're not D___?" one of them asked me after I introduced myself at a party.)

I think I won't pursue it too far right now. I'm already immersed in history with E. and M., and have begun a long overdue study of scripture. And I need to keep up my professional knowledge as well. And I'm determined to learn another language well enough to say that I "speak it", without any significant disclaimers.

Still, we could all do with a little more music in our lives. It won't hurt to dabble on occasion. This blog posting has persuaded me to make a little time for music study between everything else: A (little) Light from the East: On Reading Music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home